TARGETING YOUR COVER LETTER
HOW TO WRITE A FIVE STAR COVER LETTER
Cover letters are an often overlooked aspect of your job search strategy. When you send off your application, you don't know whether the person who receives it will ignore your cover letter and go straight to your resume, or if they read your cover letter in order to decide whether to even look at your resume.
You maximize your chances of getting an interview by writing a solid cover letter. Demonstrate you understand the job requirements, you have matching skills and experience and you are genuinely interested and enthusiastic about this specific opportunity.
COVER LETTER FORMATS SHOULD
- Be one page in length.
- Contain the appropriate person's name and title.
- Be written in a positive 'can do' style.
- Clearly show your fit for the job.
- Conclude on a forward-looking, enthusiastic note.
- Be checked and rechecked for accurate grammar, spelling and typing.
- Be well-presented on plain A4 paper.
COVER LETTER EXAMPLES
Cover letters for resumes, CVs and job applications contain three distinct parts:
- Introduction - Why you are writing.
- Body - What you have to offer.
- Conclusion - How to follow up.